What is SkyPacket Networks?
- SkyPacket Networks is a locally-owned Internet Service Provider (ISP) that was created in March 2008. Our business was created with the idea that our area needed reliable Internet where the customer is at the center of our business. Since day one we've stood by our slogan "We don't raise prices, we raise standards".
- We provide Internet service to residences and businesses in Allegany County, Maryland, Mineral County, West Virginia and the following counties in Pennsylvania: Lackawanna, Luzerne, Columbia, Montour, Snyder, Wayne, and Union.
- We’ve built out a fixed wireless network using the latest, most reliable radio technology.
How does SkyPacket Networks work?
- We mount a radio on the outside of your home and point it to a nearby tower. The tower and the radio securely send and receive your Internet content.
- From the outside radio, we run a cable into your home and install a wireless router.
- This allows you to connect your wired and wireless devices to the Internet, so everyone in your home can get online.
- We also secure (encrypt) the wireless router so others can’t “steal” your Internet.
- We’ve built out a fixed wireless network using the latest, most reliable radio technology. It is built to be available 99.99% of the time.
How does SkyPacket Networks compare to Satellite Internet?
- With satellite Internet service, most satellites are floating in orbit between 100 and 24,000 miles away. That’s how far your data is traveling – so latency (the delay between the signal being sent and reaching its destination) is going to be extremely high. By comparison, your nearest tower will be less than 5 miles from your house. SkyPacket Networks latency times (i.e., 30ms) are a fraction of that of satellite (i.e., 400ms). Customers who switch from Satellite to SkyPacket Networks are often amazed by the improvement in Internet speed and reliability.
What is fixed-wireless Internet service?
- Fixed wireless is the operation of wireless devices or systems used to connect two fixed locations (e.g., building to building or tower to building) with a radio or other wireless link.
Why should I use SkyPacket Networks?
- We’re local, we’re responsive, and customer satisfaction is our top priority.
- We started providing service in March of 2008 and have never increased our prices.
- We don’t have data caps, and we will never throttle your speed.
Does weather affect the service?
- Unlike Satellite Internet, which typically loses its signal during heavy rain, weather usually does not affect the wireless signal. Rain fade is caused by the dish trying to transmit through the clouds and atmosphere to space during heavy rain. Due to the angle of our dish, and the short distance to our towers, our dishes do not collect snow the way that dishes pointed to space do, and they are not susceptible to rain fade. There are some exceptions to this, such as severe storms and ice. Lightning can sometimes damage tower equipment or lead to power outages. SkyPacket Networks closely monitors the network so our tower technicians know when there is an outage and can work quickly to restore service.
Do I need a router?
- Yes, if you use wireless devices such as a laptop, smartphone, or tablet on our service throughout your home, you will need a wireless router. These can be purchased at most stores, or we can sell you one at the time of the installation.
- DSL and Cable routers are not compatible with our system.
- We recommend an 802.11.ac Dual-Band Gigabit Router.
What is the SkyPacket Networks installation process?
- When we arrive, we’ll go over the installation process with you to find out where you want your router and answer any questions you might have.
- We usually start by installing and aligning the radio on your roof and making sure we have a good signal.
- Then we install the cabling.
- Once inside the house, we double check that the antenna is working and has a good signal.
- Next is plugging the cable into your router and making sure everything works.
- The final step is walking you through everything we did, demonstrate that things are working, perform a speed test for you and answer any questions you might have.
How long does a SkyPacket Networks installation take?
- We allocate 2½ hours for an installation though it often take less time. On rare occasions an installation will require more time.
- The time required depends on the house, ease of roof access, length of the cable run and other factors.
Do you have a referral program?
- We love it when you love the service enough to tell your friends and neighbors.
- We offer a referral credit of $20 for each person you sign up.
- There is no limit to how many referral credits you can get!
Does SkyPacket Networks require annual contracts and money due at install?
- With a two-year commitment we collect $100.00 at install. $50.00 is for an installation fee and the remaining $50.00 is credited to your bill.
- With a one-year commitment we collect $150.00 at install. $100.00 is for an installation fee and the remaining $50.00 is credited to your bill.
- With a month-to-month contract we collect $200 at install. $150.00 is for an installation fee and the remaining $50.00 is credited to your bill.
How often do you raise your prices and what are the hidden charges?
- We started providing service in 2008 and have never increased our prices. We will never charge hidden fees or cap your data usage. Other companies like to get your attention with a free or discounted installation or a discounted monthly rate that will increase over time. They don't tell you that you will have to pay a monthly fee to rent equipment or that your account is subject to hidden fees, all of which contribute to a higher overall cost for a sub-par product. At SkyPacket Networks, we take pride in our transparency with our customers, creating an honest and trusting relationship with amazing customer service. We are committed to providing the best Internet experience for our customers.
How reliable is SkyPacket Networks?
- We run your Internet connection using the same wireless technologies used for public safety services (Police, Fire, EMS, etc.) It's incredibly stable, reliable, and fast. If it's good enough for critical emergency services, imagine how well it will work for you!
Is SkyPacket Networks fast enough for me?
- Absolutely! Below are Netflix's Internet Connection Speed Recommendation:
- 0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
- 1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
- 3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
- 5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
Do you offer Television service?
- SkyPacket Networks does not offer television service, but our Internet service can be used with various third-party streaming services.
Does SkyPacket Networks offer email?
- No. These days, most customers use Gmail or one of the many other free email services.
What does it cost? What are your hidden charges?
- It costs exactly the listed price of your selected plan. There are no extra taxes, service or rental fees added to that price!